Saturday, August 18, 2012

I Fly Away

I fly
I fly up to Heaven
not on the wings of an Angel
but on the wings of a golden butterfly
with wings that flit and float about
wings that take me somewhere better
I look down and see the world I left behind
a dark cold world
a world no one should have to know
a world where kindness has given way to the evil and depravity of man
this is the world I left behind

I couldn't sleep last night.  As I tried to force myself to sleep my mind started drifting to the subject of The Butterfly Project and the 1.5 million innocent children that perished in the Holocaust.  I tried to imagine what the world was like through their eyes.  I wrote "I Fly Away" at 5:30 this morning not knowing how coherent sounding it would be later when I read it again.  Could be the rainy weather today or having looked at actual pictures of children from the Holocaust but now my eyes swell up with tears as I read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment